For more information about our FREE courses and to see the calendar for each course, click the following –
The following courses are available in Ashburton, at Community House Mid Canterbury in Cass Street.
- Road Code Theory
Study the Road Code in a small group (maximum 5), then sit your Learner’s Licence when you are ready. The course runs Wednesdays, from 10am to midday.
- Intro to Computing an introductory computing course covering Microsoft Windows, internet and email, Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint. It runs every Wednesday from 1pm to 3pm.
- Smartphones and Tablets Bring your own smartphone or tablet and learn to use it. We can help with Android or Apple devices. It runs every Thursday from 10am to midday.
- Office Computing Use Microsoft Word, Excel, and Office 365 for typical office tasks. From 31 May, it runs every Thursday from 1pm to 3pm.
We have two computing courses, each with a maximum of 5 students so you can get the help you need:
- Computing – a 12 week general computing course covering Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Word, and Word online. It runs Mondays from 2pm to 4pm for 12 weeks. Check the calendar below for start and finish dates.
- Excel – for those wanting to specialise in spreadsheeting. The course looks at solving problems from basic to intermediate level. Maximum class size is five, so you can get the help you need. This course runs every Tues from 2pm to 3:30pm and is open-ended so you can come for as many sessions as you need/want.
Check the calendar below for dates-
This course supports you in literacy, numeracy, and computing topics of your choice. There are two tutors and a maximum of 10 students. This is an open-ended course so you can come for as many weeks as you need or want. Covers a variety of topics. Check the calendar below for dates. Some exampes of what you can work on –
- Get someone to help you on a computer.
- Help to write a CV or job application letter.
- Work with money or budgeting.
- Help with your distance learning course.
- Help to read and complete forms and applications.
Study the Road Code in a small group(maximum 6), then sit your Learner’s Licence when you are ready. This is an open-ended course, meaning you can come for as many sessions as you need/want. The course runs at two time slots every week and you can come to either, depending on numbers. In fact, some people come to both! Check the calendar below for dates-
- Group 1 runs every Tuesday from 9:30am to 11:30am.
- Group 2 runs every Thursday from 2pm to 4pm.
An interactive Te Reo Māori course for beginners. Come and learn in our supportive environment. This is an open-ended course, meaning you can come for as many sessions as you need/want. With a small class size, maximum five, you can get the help you need. Check the calendar below for dates-
Bring your own smartphone or tablet device to our interactive class and learn to use it. There are three courses running, one in Timaru, one in Temuka, and one in Geraldine. Check the calendar below for dates-
- Geraldine – every Tuesday afternoon at Geraldine Library, 1:30pm to 3:30pm.
- Timaru – every Friday morning, 10:30am to midday.
- Temuka – every Friday afternoon at Temuka Library, 1:30pm to 3:30pm.
This course is for those wanting in-depth support to improve their literacy and numeracy skills. The course runs every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 9am to midday. To be enrolled, you will need to be able to attend for at least 5 hours per week, up to the maximum of 9 hours per week. Maximum of 4 students.